Monday, August 13, 2012

SHINA NO YORU...a song WILLIAM BENJAMIN BREWER LEARNED IN KOREA



                   

             

Reclining once on distant cot
I put to lips a paper-edge
And whistled up all wistfully 
A song.
In that far land I'd lately heard,
     Upon which passing by and hearing,
Curious mawarisan
Came to see what strange gaijin
Knew as I Shina no Yoru too,
And whistled it with so much feeling,
Strange, I guess, in all Amerikajn.
     Noting him, I spoke,
He bowed, we smiled, he then walked on.
And never to this day have we
Seen one the other more.
     Of no import this brief encounter,
Save for me, for I was there.
And often I am led to think:
Across the sea and aged just like me,
Retired mawarisan may hear that tune
And may perhaps recall a gaijin
And that moment his and mine.




"Shina no Yoru" song "China Nights."
mawarisan: patrolman
Amerikajin and gaijin: American

The time Ben spent in Korea was very important to him: 1952-1954. I only met him about 6 mos after he came home. But he spoke often of Korea and taught me this song.
I am sure you will love this sweet poem about a sweet boy who loved the song: SHINA NO YORU

I will from time to time share more of Ben's poems with you.
annie in memphis
****************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment