Wednesday, September 12, 2012

PATIO SONNET by WILLIAM BENJAMIN BREWER

 
                           
       Lying lately under autumn sky
I saw a leaf when it had to die:
Solemn  moment to be witness to,
When thread of life forever parts in two!

       Down it fluttered through its former fellows,
Nudging greens and not yet many yellows.
Thought I, now this is quite an early falling,
Not yet was heard for leaves the final calling.

       Then as unmarked dead fell down to earth,
Quite ignored by brothers hanging on,
I sobered in self-knowledge brought to mind:

        Like leaf were I of tree-engendered birth,
I too, my color soon to be all gone,
Would cut the stem, to coming brown resigned.

Another poem from the loose leaf notebook I found with poems unread until after Ben's death. What a treasure for me and all the loved ones. love, annie in memphis




1 comment:

  1. Here I am...reading it, relishing it again. Such a lovely poem...thank you sweet Ben for leaving it for us to read....will always love you, annie

    ReplyDelete