Thursday, July 26, 2012

CHICOMA CLIMB by WILLIAM BENJAMIN BREWER


Photobucket
Mount Chicoma. 11,500 ft is the peak on the left.

There's one today will climb Chicoma,
Hear the rush of wind birds,
See the tops of pine.
Far above the fisher's hook
He'll take the breathless step
And rest
To look and feel himself to be
The last-laid stone that capped
The highest pyramid of great antiquity.
        I would be that stone,
Atop Chicoma's cone,
Would feel on all sides under
Common world that quivered to my thunder,
         I would be Chicoma's peak
Yet see me from the valley
I would know the peasant's pleasure
As the scholar understands it.

 View from Chicoma

This is one of the poems I found in a loose leaf notebook  6 weeks after my husband died April 6, 2012; they were written in pen and ink and no one had read them before. Handwritten made them seem all the more alive as if he had just laid down the pen.
 He loved the state of his roots: Kentucky. But even more, perhaps, he loved New Mexico the state of his awakening .

Submitted to my Blog friends, with love, annie
**************************************************
old7lady9blogger80@gmail.com
**************************************************




No comments:

Post a Comment