Saturday, July 21, 2012

WHEN ANNIE BECAME A RUNNER

                                                   


In the fall of 1979 I was 46 years old and feeling down cast.  I can't explain to you, my blog Friends, why. A wonderful husband, sons, and friends had I. Yet I felt fat, bored and boring. Depressed.

One theater  movie and one made for TV movie  shook me up and  started me on a new road...running. 

The way I was feeling at the time, I saw Rocky as a character slightly like me. We felt like losers. [ ROCKY II POSTER ] It didn't seem possible that Rocky could get himself in shape enough to become a champion boxer. I was most impressed with the running scenes and especially when he ran up the front steps of a state building with his raised arms waving jubilantly. 

Could I, a forty-six year old homemaker, begin a running program, myself....well...maybe....
Rocky Movie (Running) Poster Then one night I saw a made for TV movie, SEE HOW SHE RUNS, released in 1978; it also made a huge impact on me. Joanne Woodward played a forty year old divorced school teacher. who physically and emotionally was sort of in the place where I was. In the movie the character began for the first time in her life (just like me) to run. 






JOANNE WOODWARD in "See How She Runs" Original CBS-TV Photo Release 1978
She got better and better and better and eventually ran in the Boston marathon. See How She Runs Both of these movie characters  were victors; that is what I wanted- INTENDED  to become. 

So I announced to Ben, the boys, and all the family and friends  that I was going to start running every day. They thought, "Right??!!" I went to Target and got a cute navy blue warm up suit (long pants) almost identical to this one and a pair of running shoes.      What else could I possibly need to become a runner??!!  Right?!

This is a good time to mention that I had NEVER been athletic. When soft ball teams were chosen in gym, I was always the last to be picked!! 

It is one mile from our house to Overton High School. This would be my 2 mile course.
 So the very next day around dusk I started out...and suddenly my lungs began to hurt the way they had up in the higher mountains in Colorado.

 So I started walking. Then I would alternate between running and walking until I finally got back home. What could I do? I couldn't give up after buying my running wardrobe. 

So the next night I alternated again, then the next night, then the next... my lungs quit hurting. Then after three weeks I ran all the way to the high school before I had to alternate again. Whoo hoo. 

Then after a few more days I ran the entire course of two miles without stopping. When I ran into our house, my arms were lifted up like Rocky's in total rejoicing.

I ran 6 miles a day 7 days a week for many years. Runner_girl : Cartoon of woman running a race wearing her badge number.I can't tell you how the experience lifted me up, up, up. Without dieting I returned to my teenage weight.  I thanked the Lord every day for giving me the gift of running.  I felt peppy. I even ran in several Memphis 10 K races. Marathon runners in urban city landscape background illustration Stock Photo - 10803619I had a shirt on from one of those races when I was running through Wreck Beach, I told you about recently. I was 51 here finishing a race.

So I thought you might like to hear about this. Many of you women in your forties, in particular, may be feeling  the way I did.  You can find SOMETHING, not necessarily running, but something that can help your life the way running did mine.

 Do I still run?  No. I am 79. But I ran often well into my sixties...and found that the eyes of a runner view the world at just the right speed.
Runner_girl : blonde girl won the competition on the run Vector 

All for now, Love, annie.    God is good.
****************************************old7lady9blogger80@gmail.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++




No comments:

Post a Comment