Friday, May 17, 2013

MADAM BUTTERFLY AND THE SECRET BENEFACTOR

                         Tulane University (We have not seen Tulane since the hurricane....)

When Ben was in graduate school at Tulane University (1958-1960, New Orleans,) he, Ben Jr., and I lived on the sixth floor of the brand new housing building for married students. I must mention we had a wonderful view of our temporary city!  

One night, when Ben was teaching, I heard a light tap on the door. It was one of Ben's students. He came in, and we had a nice visit. He was only eighteen and looked younger. Some might describe him as a nerd, but I found him completely charming. He really wanted to visit his teacher; but Ben was running late, had papers to grade. The student stayed several hours seeming to enjoy making do with me.

.

We talked about mutual interests...the former chaplain of the US Senate, for example...and worked out way to our love of the opera.
At that time there was a TV Show, about an anonymous benefactor.

Soon we received in the mail a book of Peter Marshall's prayers in the Senate. He was chaplain from 1946 to 1948.
                           Peter Marshall, 1902-1949

No return address. It was inscribed: from your Benefactor.

Then a week or so later, two tickets arrived for us to see MADAM BUTTERFLY. Very good seats. Ben's graduate school stipend did not allow us to buy such frivolous things, so I was excited about going to the opera. This was also signed: from your Benefactor.


                                         It was a magic evening for Ben and me.

I never saw our young friend again. But I am not likely to forget him... would you????  
with love, annie

*******************************************************************************


2 comments:

  1. This happened toward the end of the spring semester. I am not sure if the student returned to Tulane or transferred to another school. Wouldn't it be great if he accidentally reads this on the internet????

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, there was a popular TV show at the time called THE MILLIONAIRE. About a man who gave away money, but ONLY SECRETLY. I think this is where my young friend got the idea to be OUR BENEFACTOR!!

    ReplyDelete