Friday, June 15, 2012

WHEN DADDY OPERATED ON A CHICKEN!! A HAPPY MEMORY

       
Perhaps I was 9 years old. The older of my two little brothers (4)  ran into the house....


"A varmit must have got a holt of one of our chickens, it is torn and .... has maggots and everything!!"This was William Leroy Caldwell, my little brother who died December 22, 2012


During WWII lots of people raised chickens in their backyards to help with food supply. We had some. We ate wonderful fried chicken without any regrets. 


Yet here was a chicken SUFFERING...that made all the difference!! We children were crying!
            facsimiles


A little ways from our backdoor was a so called garage. A car was NEVER in it!  It looked more like a barn with two doors. A lot like this picture except the roof was flat. I remember that in particular, because I climbed on to the roof so I could pull up on a limb of a huge tree. Then I would climb as high as I could and then just sit there awhile and"think!"

Getting back to the surgery story. 
We called, "DADDY!!  Help!"  


Daddy came into the back yard, picked up the chicken and took him into the garage/barn, where Daddy kept all his stuff; he had so many tools.


 It was dark in there. One table sat in the center with a big light bulb on a long cord hanging over it.


 Daddy put the chicken on the table. He cleaned out the wound with some sort of purple medicine. Then Mother supplied a needle and thread and Daddy sewed it up. We kids stood at the door and watched in amazement!! In only a few days the chicken seemed to be well. I guess it died of old age. We didn't eat it, for sure!! A happy memory.

Here is picture of Daddy with his bass; he played in a church band. BETHEL ASSEMBLY Memphis.
 Daddy with his stand up bass.


http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/5415_0704092006.jpg     

Here is an old hymn I love a lot.
PRECIOUS MEMORIES

 
old7lady9blogger80@gmail.com
(This 2 yr old pic may be ugly, but it looks better than I do, so I'm using it!!!!So there!!)
All for now!!! Love from annie. ****************************************

2 comments:

  1. I just added Daddy's picture to this. It is a happy and wonderful memory. annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some pictures that I originally posted are gone.
      okay

      Delete